Friday, May 19, 2006

The rain falls mainly on the plains in Spain.

This is not true. I have grown up in an area with much rain...and again am experiencing even more of it here...rainy season has arrived Folks! Even for me being a BC girl, the rain here is very interesting, because it is just heavy. Downpour. Buckets. Cats and Dogs. These do not even describe the rain. And I love it - only if I don't need to be outside for a long period of time (or even a short one...cause you are just as soaked in 2 minutes as in 30).

Anyways, I was thinking the other night about the things that I love about living in Belen right now, such as the rain. I made a list:

1. Masi - she is the abuelita (grandma) of my "host mom" (who is only a year older than me...so let's scratch the mom...and the host...and say my friend). She is my favorite person here. Every morning, when I walk to school, I walk by Masi's house. She waves me down, I walk over to her, she greets me, big hug, many kisses, asks how I am and tells me to say goodbye because I need to go to class. She makes my day better - and I think everyone needs a Masi in their lives.

2. My family - I live with a couple who have a 4 year old son. The son is precious but rambunctious, and likes his way. He's an only child. His mom says I can understand because I am an only child as well. I don't argue; it's true. Anyways, the family in my house is small, but somehow every day there is much more family present than lives there. I never know who's going to be there - and I love it. Cousins, Aunts, Sisters: sitting at the table, drinking coffee or juice and eating bread...and making fun of each other. They are incredibly sweet to me, and every once in a while will remind each other than they need to speak slower so that I can be part of the conversation.

3. My walk to school - I am a person who likes time to myself. Obviously with this much family around...I don't get a whole lot. But most days I walk to and from school by myself...a whole 40 minutes every day to myself, where I can be quiet...not have to practice spanish...and explore a little.

4. Fruit - I am a freak for fruit...and I always forget how good it can be until I get here...and realize that we pay WAY to much for fruit in Canada.

5. When I understand - I don't know if you've ever studied a language. I remember in highschool being able to write essays in French, but couldn't ever have a conversation with someone, because I couldn't understand what was being said to me. Now that I'm studying Spanish more indepth, I have relished the moments where I get it. When I'm sitting around the table with the girls, and know what's going on. They happen enough that I know I can keep going...

And so these are those things so far...my moments to delight in, which I hope I will remember and continue to relish in when I return home.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:36 PM

    What a nice 'snapshot' of your life right now in Belen! How about a description of the country...at least, what you see on your walk to school?
    love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. rain in spain? i have seen nothing of the sort and i´ve been here for 4 days... i guess it cause i´m not in the plains...

    keep having a blast!

    ReplyDelete