Wednesday, May 24, 2006

And they say a cat has nine lives...

This weekend I saw the most horrific thing followed by the most intriguing thing. Here in Costa Rica (as with most Latin American countries) there are many dogs that roam the streets. Seeing as Bob Barker isn't here to tell us to get our pets spayed or neutered, it just isn't happening. And so, the dog population continues to grow. However, you would think that if you spent your days roaming the streets, you would quickly learn that cars are big, and loud, and can hurt you. Sadly, I was witness to the misfortune of one dog this weekend who's life was ended when he collided with a car. It was horrific...and I wouldn't wish it upon anyone. However, ten minutes later (no joking, literally 10 minutes), I witnessed another dog run underneath a moving car. He was pulled up underneath the wheels, the car carried him along for about 2 seconds, and then he fell out from the car, and ran off to safety. I don't necessarily believe that animals have guardian angels, but God took pity on this poor fellow. I don't think there are many dogs who can say that they've run away unharmed after being run over by a car...well, I don't think there are actually any who can "say" anything...but...you understand what I mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment