Wednesday, May 03, 2006

On entering a new world...

So on Monday, Laura and I went to the Wild Orange Spa for massages - which, by the way, a good and dear friend of mine paid for, making the experience all the more enjoyable, and me all the more grateful for the kind of friends that I have (I hope that I can be as good a friend to them!).

Anyways, I don't know if you've ever been to a Spa, but honestly, it's a different world. As I sat in the steam room, multiple sitcom clips ran through my mind (i.e. Chandler's embarassing episode due to some steamy lenses, and Elaine's attempts to verify the authenticity of certain body parts on Jerry's latest girlfriend - why is it that I remember pointless drivel such as these moments, and not the more important things?). Overall, I felt like a rich lady, exhausted from the "hard work" of running a household of servants, and thus ran off to the Spa with a girlfriend, in order to escape life for a couple of hours...but when rubber hits the road, that is not who I am at all, and thus found myself more curious about the lives of the ladies whom we encountered, than on getting a massage. (Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed the massage :))

Which led me to wonder if there was a job getting to know people's stories...and how I could get that job. It reminds me of something I saw on Oprah once (which are how a lot of my stories start, oddly, considering I've watched very few Oprah episodes in my life), of a young reporter in the States, whose entire job is to open a map, point to a place, travel there, and upon arriving, pick up a phone book, open a page, pick a name, call that person and ask to hear their story and show it on the 6 o'clock news. We are driven by story...why else would the blog world have started...and become so popular?

All this to say - The spa was a great experience, I love people's stories, and I'm sitting in my house bored and writing with no direction...

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:11 AM

    I think you should do that, find a random person in the abbotsford phone book, call them up and find out their story, and then we could document it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:38 PM

    i was very nervous that maybe..oh i don't know...that my visa wouldn't go through and you couldn't get in and you went to the spa and they said your friend is a dumb ass and you can't get a massege....so i didn't call you , or check my emails till i finally got the balls to do it today...and alas: i am so happy you enjoyed it! and i agee with the whole 'life story' thing- so amazing what people have gone through and what they're made of. anyways, love ya adn miss ya and will see you in....august-ish?! very excited to see you again and v-ball it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good call on the story notion. I too wonder how to get past the usual "where are you from...what do you do...what's your favourite colour?" type of questions in order to hear people's stories.

    good job on the blog so far!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathleen! Great start to the blog... I'll keep checking it. And that's amazing that you dodged a flying boquet, a weaker woman would have been struck down by it!

    Take care of you, and we'll be in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:42 PM

    Hey Kathleen!! How about adding an all inclusive resort to you "new-world" experience!! We have a chance to go about two weeks after you get here...think about it and let me know!
    ps...don't knock writing with no direction...sometimes that's where the best stories come from!!

    ReplyDelete