Sunday, September 10, 2006

love of the game...

So I think I need to confess an addiction that I have.

I just came home from playing 4 hours of beach volleyball with random strangers (and one friend who shares my addiction). I honestly LOVE volleyball...have since I was in grade 6 and was introduced to the game. That year I joined the co-ed team, and we won nationals....okay, so maybe not nationals...more like, we played against the other elementary schools in the area, and won. It was a very historic event; they gave us the team ball, and we all signed it, and it was placed in the school trophy case. (It's probably deflated by now).

There's just something about the rush of your body working faster than you can really think through what you're doing...managing to dive for a ball that's going the opposite direction that your body was...that's a great feeling.

Anyone share my addiction? If you do...Nat and I just made friends with a bunch of guys from Fiji...and we're gonna play again next Sunday at Crescent Beach - you're welcome to join...but only if you're addicted.

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:05 PM

    so once upon a time, I may have said, "...I hate this stupid sport..."
    to you, while watching an attempt to play volleyball. I apologize. if I had known of your addiction, I would have been more sensitive and kept my comments to myself. I myself, had an addiction. It was to hockey. I would spend countless hours playing on my street with my brother...until one day I told him, "suck it up, it doesn't hurt that much when the ball hits you in the face...." Actually, it ended when I was no longer happy for my turn in net. Turns out he did suck it up, and once my brother got stronger, he could do the same to me. Anyway, I share the joys of addiction, but will only come to watch yours...unless it suddenly involves a hockey stick. Some day I'll tell you the story of grade10 gym class, and what I did to those who took volleyball too seriously. I fear I may do the same to you, so for now, I'll just watch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. could i come and play??? i'm sorry we didn't get to chat at the concert...and i'm honoured to be in your links!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So...guys from Fiji, eh? You know I HAD to say something:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey anon...i have this feeling you may have already told me the grade 10 story (if you are who i think you are)

    dan...definitely can come...i think we'll probably be there around 4pm? Do you know where the volleyball court is at Crescent Beach? Sorry I didn't get to say hi to you too...how's youth pastoring?

    sandra..of course you had to comment (have you seen my new title for the link to your blog? ;))

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'll be able to find it. you can email me if plans change: pastordan@telus.net

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:35 PM

    so are you as sore as i am? if getting up at 5:30 in the morning isn't difficult enough...attempting to stand ...and than move after playing what..4 1/2 hours of hard core-ish volleyball...sheesh! so good- ahh man, just so good! and i'm assuming you don't have to work sunday and thus are coming out and hence forth equalling in me being SO excited for you to come out and play again! wee hoo! (i have so many scrapes on my body from diving....they burn!- so good! ahh so good- what a rush!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i don't share the love of the game, as my arms are still healing from Friday night. although i don't mind watching, and laughing. I think i can handle it for about half an hour, then my arms hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice Kathleen, real nice! I'll try and live up to the heading. Oh where oh where can I find some more men?!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. haha...sandra, don't worry, God will just drop them down, like manna from heaven :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel like I walked in on "girlz chat" or something. I need to go use mouthwash. In my ears.

    ReplyDelete