Monday, August 28, 2006

God sent me four.

Well...it's offical. I had my first breakdown on Saturday. No, I didn't lose my mind, shout, scream, or cry, although I was close...but it was not me that brokedown, it was my dear car.

You see, my car had been making noise last week...which can be normal for my car, so I thought, well, if it gets worse I'll call the mechanic on Monday. But I didn't make it til Monday. Saturday afternoon I'm leaving my friend Vanessa's place in Vancouver, and had been driving for about 15 minutes, when the car just shut down. Shut off. Said no more. Breathed it's last. (At least it felt that way). I tried rolling start, I tried praying for a miracle, I tired puppy dog eyes at the cars passing me...I tried everything I could, being alone and in the middle of rush hour traffic, short of yelling, "HELP ME!"

In these moments, everything inside me is freaking out...yet somehow my composure remains, and my brain shifts into "what do I need to do?" mode...a function I am thankful for. It is a Godsend...

I am convinced that God provides. If I haven't learned this yet, I am simply stupid.

And so, God sent me four...BCAA (a patient and actually knowledgable towtruck driver), Vanessa (who immediately said, "get your butt back here and stay for the night"...and then distracted me with dinner, movie and pear cider), Translink (who I phoned repeatedly..."I'm at Edmonds and Canada Way, and I need to get to Granville and 70th...what buses do I take?"), and the man who owns Edmonds Starters and Alternators, who didn't charge me for labour, just for parts.

What is life without a little adventure? I guess God figured I've been a little bored lately...

4 comments:

  1. How frustrating! But, I'm glad it all turned out well...and, it's always good to have more stories to share...right? That's what I keep telling myself:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:12 PM

    I'm sure all single women (and I guess married ones too)have 'car stories'. Thanks, Lord, for taking care of Kathleen, and all the rest of the gals who have been in similar circumstances!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's scary when God thinks I'm bored and decides to throw some action my way because really God, I'm ok just sitting here while nothing bad is happening. Naive? Maybe... but I'm sure glad God doesn't send us more that He knows we can handle.
    (This is Robyn formerly Ikeda by the way, I have followed links to your blog)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:35 AM

    This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete