Wednesday, April 20, 2011

surprises are the best...

...when YOU are the surprise.

This weekend, after about six weeks of planning and scheming with Stephen Hubbard, I got on a plane to Calgary to surprise my dear friend, Maria. Stephen, being the good husband, had asked me to come and be a pleasant surprise at Maria's baby shower (baby Hubbard #2 is on the way). I loved the idea, and loved that he thought of it (when do friends' husbands think of these things?)...and loved that it was finally time to make it happen!

I can't ever say that I have BEEN the surprise before. And I have to say, it's pretty dang fun.

I loved the weekend.

I felt like I truly left everything behind...work, school, the pile of laundry in my un-vacuumed, fully cluttered, truly chaotic room that is my space. I let it stay in BC, and I said hello to Alberta. Snow and all.

The thing about good friends is that it doesn't matter how long it's been, or whether they're expecting you or not, you just pick right back up where you left off. You rejoice in the ways you've grown, you commiserate about the ways you haven't, and you simply love how despite all that's happened, you both are still who you are at the core. And that's why you're friends. (P.S. Maria, we completely forgot to take that picture at the airport...and our hair looked really good. So sad.)

There was a bonus this weekend, in that I didn't only get to hang out with Maria and Steve and their darling Anna, but I also got to spend time with "the Amys" (two dear girls I went to Bible college with). One I had just seen a few weeks ago, and so it felt great to defy the normal rate of seeing each other (almost once a year or so). The other I hadn't seen for 7 years. Seven! How does that happen? It was definitely a great treat to break bread and sip soup together and hear about how our lives have unfolded thus far.

Time flies.

The other day, I was sitting with a few CBC students at work, and the girls were asking me: "Kathleen, do you still hang out with your friends from your bible college days?" I could hear the anticipation and longing in their voices. The end of their first year is here, and they want to know if there's hope that these amazing friendships will continue. And I was proud to tell them: it's totally possible. I was so happy to explain how my friends from then are still my friends now, although the friendship may look differently...and was careful to explain how intentional you need to be.

So thank you, my CBC friends, for being intentional.
It makes all the difference.

Speaking of time...it's almost May. And I was thinking about my "things i want to see happen in 2011" list. I want to assure you all, it's still on my mind. (Because, I'm sure you've been so worried...)

Here are my updates:
1. Find a drink substitute for pop (specifically coke).
With the exception of one can of  ginger ale (i had the flu), and about half a cup of sprite, I have been pop-free since January 1. There have been moments of impending weakness. Sandwiches and chips, slices of pizza, and any type of group bbq seem to just beckon a good tall glass of coca-cola. But alas, I am proud to report I have chosen water. Whew. Two thirds of the year left to go...

2. Donate blood.
I have called the blood donor services, and was about to set up an appointment, when I got a wicked cold. Wicked cold is starting to subside...appointment is about to be made.

3. Learn to make some type of Guatemalan food.
This actually happened by default! I went over to Estela's one night, and she had mixed up her days and didn't realize I was coming over. In the meantime, she had prepped everything for tamales, and was just about to put them together. With a mix of Spanish and English, I found out how to make them! I'm not sure if I could replicate it...yet...but I was pretty excited to witness the process.

4. Go somewhere new.
This will take place in June. I will let you all know about it after it happens...but I will tell you this: I'm going to visit 7 friends in 4 states in the good ol' US of A...and it will be my first time in TWO of those states. I'm excited. 

5. Get a great pair of boots.
This has been postponed until further notice. And further money. And further winter.

6. Grow a small garden, and help the Davey/Doll household return to composting!
Oh boy. This has yet to happen...
I feel a sudden urgency to get on this. Almost a panic. What month are we in? When do I need to plant? Oh boy.
BUT...Amy did tell me a great tip about composting this weekend...and now I'm inspired again.

7. Learn more about knitting.
Goal date: June. (i.e. time when I don't work or do school and have some sort of a life).

8. Take a pottery class?
Did I have any idea that pottery classes cost around $200 when I posted this brilliant thought? No. This idea is postponed until I am re-employed in the fall or win some sort of lottery/scratch and win/beauty contest.

9. Spend more money on other people than on myself.
I will admit, I am trying my darnedest...and now that we're four months in to the year, I think I'm getting better. I think... 

So, I give myself a B.
I'm on my way.

In other news (wow, this post just goes on forever)...I found this today and love it. May it inspire you: The 25 Best Songs of 2011 (so far)

3 comments:

  1. I'm excited to check out that song list when I'm at home on a computer that has sound! :) Great update on that list! Sounds like you're doing a pretty good job with it! And yaaay for keeping in touch with College friends. It is TOUGH. but it's really not that hard to get on Skype or the phone sometimes...but even with that, definitely have to be intentional!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "if I Had A Boat"
    Baby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:33 AM

    inspiring...what's your amazing tip about composting? dying to know...i just started...kinda weird that i am so excited! ! !

    ReplyDelete