Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Traumatic events, loss, and anticipation...

These last few days have been some of the weirdest of my life.

Friday night, I went to that "fateful" Starfield concert, and watched the speakers crash down next to us, not even realizing that the floor had caved in...I was so pre-occupied with the massive speakers landing on the crowd (and being quite very close to us), that I missed that whole part...it wasn't until I was outside in the parking lot, waiting for my friends to "re-group" that I found out what all had taken place.

Friday night was the first time I have witnessed trauma within a group setting, and a lot of blood (not the movie blood, but the real thing). It was also the first time (that I can remember) witnessing something in slow-motion, without sound. Honestly, I can't remember any sounds related to the event...just the fire alarm going off once everything stopped. It has been helpful to discuss this night with people - both those that I shared it with, and those that I didn't. It has also been helpful to remember the bands that played before-hand, which were amazing!

I could write a whole post just about this, but I am sort of weary of talking about it. So let me move on...

This weekend also brought the passing of a dear CBC leader. John Schmidt, our former campus pastor, succumbed to his latest bought of cancer early Sunday morning. John specialized in prayer counselling, and taught us SO much, not only in class and in his sessions, but just through his encouragement, his faith, the way in which he spoke and believed what he was sharing with us...the things that he prioritized in his life. I will miss John greatly...but know that he is the one who is better off today, hanging out with his Maker.

Whew.

And then, there is the change.

Tomorrow is my last day of work and Thursday morning we head out to Kootenay Lake for our camping trip...the highly anticipated "We Are Still Friends Tour 2008" :) I think Mike came up with this clever name a few months ago when we decided we needed a good camping trip, and to combine it in a visit with the "old crew"...especially seeing as we don't have any weddings soon enough to bring us together.

Kootenay Lake - here we come. May you provide sunshine and good times.

There are many good things coming. This camping trip is one of many...and I am so blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment