Monday, June 11, 2007

Apple Pie...One year later.

For those of you that are faithful blog-readers of mine...you'll remember that last year, one of the first nights staying with my host family, my host "dad" started making noise about apple pie. "Do you have apple pie in Canada?" he asked me. "Yes..." I replied curious as to what would make him think of apple pie?! "With the criss-cross top?" he asked. "Yes..." "Do you know how to make one?" he asked me, with big eyes. "Well, I think I do," I said. And that's when it started. I made a pie...it burnt cause the oven was too hot...and he still wouldn't share it with anyone.

So, when I returned this year to visit, talk was in the air about apple pie. He definitely was wanting another...Carina had lost the recipe I'd given her, and so she'd never made one for her dear husband. So this time, I decided I needed to make two, to ensure he got what he wanted and that the rest of the family would be able to try some.

On Sunday, then, I enlisted the help of Carmelinda. It was her first pie, and my second! We had fun. Carmelinda posed for me...
And then we posed together. Now...truth be told. This was taken today. Because, I took Gloria and Carmelinda with me to see my host family. We all ate pie. Then when we came back, the other staff were jealous, and Gloria and Carmelinda still had the taste on their tongues. So...we made two more tonight. Aren't they pretty?
Here's Carmelinda with my host "bro" Jose Andres. While the pies were baking they played outside, and ran in every two minutes asking, "Is it ready yet?" Carina commented on how similar they look...they could be brother and sister!
And here's my newest pic of baby Julian. Carina was making him laugh. He is getting sweeter and sweeter, I swear.
Oh, so in the end...the apple pie was a sucess. Both times. And neither time did it burn. One day, I'll actually make apple pie in Canada. For now...it's just a Costa Rican specialty.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:40 AM

    Now you'll have to make it for everyone when you get back!! The pictures make me hungry...

    ReplyDelete
  2. you and Jeremy Vis will have to have a pie bake off... can I be the judge???
    Looks and sounds like you're doing great! Hope the rest of your month isn't super hectic!

    Love Dana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:28 PM

    I assume the 'eating your fingers' phrase is the Spanish equivalent of 'finger-lickin' good'?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe you should expand the tradition from Costa Rica to "Latin America"...then you could come to Mexico and bake me an apple pie. Oh, and did I mention that there are like 9 Starbucks within 5 minutes of my house? So, when are you coming for a nice long coffee?!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i want in on the pie competition...dana can handle more than 2 competitors!

    ReplyDelete