Saturday, March 17, 2007

the past

Well. It's been a slow couple of weeks - working too much, but with nothing too interesting happening, other than spending quality time with friends before I gear up to take off again.

Yesterday my cousin and I were reminiscing about our childhoods, visiting our Grandparents on Saltspring Island. It's amazing how you can not think about something for a long time, only to have it really come back so vividly in your mind.

My grandparents built a cabin on Saltspring back in the day. Now before you think "Cabin in the woods" with roaring fireplaces and bear pelts...think a LOT more simply, like a one-room cabin with two cots, no insulation, and many simple things. But it had curtains, and a wall of teacups, old oil-lanterns, fuzzy blankets, and as a little girl, it was one of my favorite places to have tea with Grandma.

Yesterday, as we were talking, I walked away remembering a bright sunny afternoon, walking to the cabin from their house (which was down the road), poking around in the gardens, salting the slugs, and then sitting down to tea, while Grandma talked to me about Jesus, about the fact that I could never marry an only child (because then our children would have no cousins), about the roses that were growing outside the door....about anything and everything she thought I should know.

The other night while I was at WhiteSpot, an elderly lady walked passed me, smiling, and reminded me so much of Grandma that all those memories came back for a moment, and I just missed her.

Life is funny in the way that it cycles around, bringing back to us the things that we thought we'd forgotten.

I don't think I have much of a point here today...other than to say that I hope each of you have fond memories that you can return to when need be.

No comments:

Post a Comment