Sunday, February 04, 2007

ugly kathleen

So...it is now 3:14 am, and I just got home from work. We had the "Abbotsford Hearts for Hospice" Fundraiser tonight at the Ramada, which meant long night...long, long, long night. I felt ugly the whole time I was there. Let me explain....oh how I wish I had a picture for you all.

Usually, our uniform at the Ramada is black pants, white button-up shirt, black vest, and tie (the last two of which the Ramada provides and you put on when you get to work). However, when I got to work I realized that we were very short on vests (i.e. I either had to fit into a size 4 or wear a huge man's vest). My manager affirmed this realization (the only thing that they can think of is that people are taking their uniforms home with them - i ask you, who WANTS to have their uniform at home???). She went off looking for something for us to wear, and in the meantime I also learnt that I would spend a good portion of the evening bartending. So, managers came back with a smirk on their faces (which usually is a bad sign), and we were handed our official "bartending vests" for the night...these old ugly grandpa style vests...green...large gold buttons...men's sizes only, which meant my shoulders looked huge and then the vest tapered to the waist (very attractive). Every time one of the two guys that I work with walked by me, they laughed. Seriously, it was that attractive. My favorite part was when I'd looked at one of the other three girls that were bartending, and that's when I would remember just how ugly I looked in that moment, we just looked that bad.

It was interesting though, to recognize that my mood was changed by this ugly vest. Let me clarify, I wasn't grumpy or disgruntled, but more just feeling gross, like something was very off...and of course being surrounded by ladies in beautiful dresses for this Society night definitely didn't make the green vest any more appealing.

Seriously wish I had taken a picture.

1 comment: