Wednesday, September 01, 2010

september = fresh start

Ok, friends. I need your accountability.

September's rules:

  1. No new clothes. 
  2. No going out for a movie.

Why, you may ask, are you creating these rules for yourself? Well, a combination of now being a student again (and the pricetag that goes along with that), along with going from full-time to part-time at work is forcing this.

But why, you may ask, am I still smiling about it? Honestly, because it's kind of a relief to shed off materialistic tendencies that I hold. I need a good "cleansing" every once in a while. It's not normal to buy clothes and go to movies for most people in the world. So, why should it be normal for me?

Amen to simplifying...whether intentional or necessary.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:39 PM

    You should just move to a small town like Quesnel. Shopping and movies are basically non-existent here! :) But you are right, realizing you don't "need" those things is very freeing. Love you!

    Christa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Friends of mine have a rule that every time they buy something new, they have to give away 2 that they already have (think clothing, DVDs, etc...probably not food). I've adopted the idea but on a one:one scale. It makes me pause and think about how much I really need/want new things. If I really want to go shopping, I first have to think about what I'll give away. Sometimes I forget, but it's a good guideline.

    Good luck on your budgeting!

    ReplyDelete