Tuesday, September 22, 2009

What I thought life would look like at "almost 28"..

Somewhere back around 20, I had this idea that when I was "almost 28", my life would look a certain way. I don't know exactly...but I had a feeling I'd be married, having kids, doing, well, life as it is known in that context. My life today looks so much different from that picture I had in my head.

Some days I really love my life. I love that I've been to Costa Rica 7 times. I love that I have another family there, that I've learnt enough Spanish to get by (I'm still working on it), and that I know how to drive from the airport in Alajuela to either the Pura Vida Missions base, or to my host family's house. I love that in Canada I live with Gary and Carleigh who treat me like their sister; their kids see me as just another part of their life. I love that Bodhi and I have our own special games, and that Charlee loves whatever earrings I wear, and almost everyday tells me I'm beautiful.

I have to be honest though, that every once in a while, I think about that picture...what I thought life would look like...and I guess, I mourn that it isn't so. I think that's fair. For some, the picture comes together as they imagined. For others...we wait and try to focus on the joy in the places that we are.

2 comments:

  1. When I turned 21 I had a moment like that. I had always assumed I'd be married by then, after all, my mom was, but then I wasn't. It's weird to get to that point and think "this isn't where I thought I'd be". Now I'm sort of where I thought I'd be, but not at all either. I guess life just takes you places and wherever you are is pretty good. I have a feeling you are exactly where you are supposed to be! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the musings of "almost 28".

    I had a moment like that last week as I contemplated "just past 38". At 28, I really had to have my life mapped out in my head...knowing what I could expect in the next five or ten years, and pretty much confident it would happen. I don't think that way as naturally anymore. God has surprised me continually in the past 10 years, and now I find I'm not really thinking about what I want but the possibilities that God may have in store for me. It's a little scary sometimes, but I'm learning that He is faithful and will accomplish HIS will for my life (as opposed to my own!).

    Blessings as you approach this birthday!

    ReplyDelete