Tuesday, January 22, 2008

A Muslim and A Christian...talking....

Tonight I went to a lecture given at CBC by Dr. David Shenk. Dr. Shenk is well-known both in the Christian and Muslim world. He is a Christian man who is friends with Muslims...something that is not (unfortunately) very common. I was privileged to hear him speak both tonight, and yesterday at a student lunch. I believe that this man has taken the complication out of religious barriers. He has seen people as...well...people, despite religion, despite ethnicity, and learned how to appreciate others. He has learned how to hear others, and how to share his beliefs respectfully and with care. May I continue to learn how to do that.

I think the greatest thing we fear is each other...foolishly.

Tonight I especially appreciated something that Dr. Shenk said:
"If you kill your enemy, you will have more enemies. If you forgive your enemy, if you lay down your life for your enemy, you will have no more enemies."

I am learning more about pacifism...it is not something I grew up with, and I think I'm growing an appreciation for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment