Thursday, December 08, 2011

Don't mind me, it's the fever talking...

The other night Bodhi had a bit of a fever. Carleigh gave him some medicine and put him in bed while we were making dinner, but he didn't want to stay in bed. He wanted to be close to Carleigh. So, whipping up a makeshift bed in the kitchen, Bo watched me while I fried up some ground turkey. Carleigh had to run off to intervene in some sort of almost-catastrophe with the girls. And in the three minutes she was out of the kitchen, Bo, in his feverish state, topped the cake with the weirdest conversation we've ever had. Ever.

Bodhi: Hey Kaleen....I have your bum, and you have mine!
Me: Um...what Bo?
Bo: I have your bum...and you have mine!

At this point, I usually encourage Bo to think about talking about other things...but I was curious at where this one might be going...
 
Me: Oh...really? What do you mean?
Bo: We switched.
Me: And...please tell me...how did that exactly happen?
Bo: Oh, it's easy. You just have to wish for it. Like this...I wish my bum would switch! And then you say (cue sing-songy voice and little waving of the hand...)....bye bye bum!


Carleigh entered at that point and tried to interpret Bo's new philosophy of bum switching. She came up with the point that the kids are often told they have dad's lips, or mom's eyes, etc., and so maybe, just maybe this was what Bodhi was getting at, "right, Bodhi? Is that what you mean?"


Bo: Nope, I mean we switched bums. Bye, bye, bum!

Weirdest. Conversation. Ever.
And yet...I still think living with this kid and his family is one of the best decisions I ever made.
Even with the bum switching.



1 comment:

  1. Sometimes I'm sure we all wish we could do a little bum switching....

    ReplyDelete