Sunday, August 09, 2009

10 years.

Last night, I went to my 10 year reunion. In many ways, the 10 year high school reunion can actually be more awkward than the actual experience of high school. All of a sudden, you're faced with people you were never friends with in high school, and feel that you need to "catch up". "So, what have you done the last 10 years?" You share your stories in 3 sentences or less, and then try to find a way to leave the conversation.

However, I want to say that seeing my friends, the ones that I DID spend my time with in high school, was so good. Because I come from a smaller town, many of these people I have known since elementary school. We have grown up together and share many experiences (even just the similarity of growing up in Courtenay). I feel safe with these people, and enjoy their company (even though it's not all too often that I see them).

So that's that. 10 years. In some ways we grow up and move on, and in others we are still the same 17/18 year olds who excitedly graduated into "the real world".

1 comment:

  1. 10 years....does it feel strange?

    I know how you feel about catching up with strangers; it is weird enough that Jim and I decided to skip our 20 year reunion this year.

    ReplyDelete