Sunday, September 14, 2008

The biggest purchase of my life to date...

Let me introduce you to my new friend (yet to be named): Can I just share with you for a moment the ways in which God worked to get me this car? I have to say that while my dear Wanda has been a great car for the last four years...I was getting tired of the calls to the mechanic (who knows me by first name...not the best sign?), and the "what's next?" that for some would not be a big deal...but for a single female trying to live a life with missions options, WAS a big deal.

As difficult as it was to admit, it was time to say goodbye to Wanda, and start looking for something newer. (But isn't she beautiful?)

Anyways, this all lead me to start the search...and start the prayers. Funny thing is that Chris's constant reminder to be praying before each activity this summer in Costa Rica, translated to me here in Abbotsford. I have programed my phone to say 'pray first' on the screen...I see it every time I check my phone. And so, as I looked online to search for cars, I prayed first. As I booked an appointment to talk about loan options at the bank, I prayed first. As I made an appointment to test drive the new car, I prayed first. And at each point, I saw God working.

I walked into my bank appointment, really unsure if what I was going for was feasible. I mean, I may have a new big office, but I work for a private Christian college that fundraises more than 60% of the budget every year. This does NOT equate for a great salary. But, wouldn't you know it, my loan officer ended up being a Christian lady who remarked on my career choice...and after hearing about my summers in Costa Rica, decided that I needed this loan. And so, I walked out of her office with a whopping $17,000 loan to my name. I had a hard time breathing at that point.

So, on to the test drive. I had found this car online at a Ford dealership in North Vancouver...so it was an hour away, but it sounded amazing. And...they had already started lowering the price online. I sent an email, and within the next week I received 4 phone calls and 3 emails from the salesman, asking about a test drive. In his last voicemail he actually said "let me know if you want me to stop calling you". I knew he was determined. I definitely knew he was determined when he agreed to meet me halfway for a test drive. Thankfully Misty and Sandra were with me for the test drive, and could ask all the necessary questions, while I simply drove the thing, and fell in love.

So then, two days later I had had to resubmit my loan application - turned out I had mis-calculated my income, and had to hand in a letter of employment with a lower number than anticipated. And so, I prayed first. And guess what? Loan STILL went through.

I prayed again, and sent an offer to my friendly salesman. And guess what? After a few emails back and forth, I ended up being offered than $3000 less than the ticketed price. So, I sat in my room, in awe that this was really happening, called the dealership, put down a deposit and then quickly called the bank to finalize the loan process. Whew.

Can I tell you that this has all been by God's hand? I started to doubt myself last week...wondering if I was asking too much, and if this would really end up being my car. I even told Misty and Sandra after the test drive, "well, that was fun, but it's probably a pipe dream".

And then I prayed.

What I heard so clearly in response?

"I like to give good gifts to my children."

And so, Saturday afternoon, Gary graciously drove me the hour into North Vancouver, I signed papers, shook my salesman's hand, and cruised home in disbelief...and thankfulness.

After driving my trusty 92 Jetta for 4 years, now at 237,000kms, I am the proud owner of a 2007 Honda Fit, with only 13,500kms. I practically pinch myself every time I get in. But I also remember to pray first.

Oh, and I have to tell you all as well, that Charlee was incredibly excited when I drove up. I don't know how much a 2 year old grasps concepts, like new cars...but she squealed and jumped in...and even put on her own seatbelt. Here she is enjoying the car almost as much as I do:

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:44 PM

    Good purchase! Great story! Cars really are a huge purchase and an important part of our lives so it's definitely something that we all need to do carefully and prayerfully! Congratulations! Esther

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Congratulations and thanks for sharing the story behind it. You've reminded me to pray more often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your new ride! Charlee is a very good accessory!
    Love to see you soon,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice car Kathleen! I'm so glad you were able to get it. Feel like driving it my way anytime soon??
    Love you,
    Christa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:36 PM

    Great story, Hon! And thanks for the reminder to 'pray first'...I need that too!
    love, Mom

    ReplyDelete